Step-by-Step Application procedure
Step 1 - Online Eligibility Assessment (OEA)
In order to know if you are eligible to apply for this programme, please complete the Online Eligibility Assessment (OEA). Within some days you will receive an e-mail confirming if you are eligible to apply. If so, further information regarding the application process can be found in step 2.
Complete the OEA here
Important: The OEA does not substitute the written application, but it helps to determine whether you are eligible to apply or not. Therefore we recommend that you submit the OEA first and only continue with Step 2 and 3 if you are invited to do so by us.
Step 2 - Fill in, print and sign the Online Registration Form (ORF)
Complete the ORF here (only fields with * are mandatory) - ORF is not available before 20th March 2019!
Please note that it is not necessary to upload documents online. They only have to be sent by postal mail, together with the application form.
Step 3 - Sending your application package by post
Send the following list of documents by post to the address indicated below.
- Printed out the signed Online Registration Form (see step 2 above)
- Curriculum Vitae in English (DO NOT include a photograph)
- Signed motivation letter in English following our guideline (Download )
- Two recommendation letters from university professor(s) or employer(s). Each recommendation consists of: the REM Referee Questionnaire (Download Referees Questionnaire) and a Reference Letter written by the referee (there is no template for the reference letter). They should be enclosed in a separate sealed envelope.
- Previous University education certificates* and transcripts (officially authenticated copies)
- Previous High School education certificates* (officially authenticated copies)
- English language certification (officially authenticated copy). We ONLY accept: TOEFL certificates** (IBT 100 points or higher) IELTS certificates (band 7 or higher); or Cambridge certificates (level C1)
- APS certificates (only necessary for applicants from China, Vietnam and Mongolia)
- All documents should be posted to the following address:
University of Freiburg
ZEE – Centre for Renewable Energy - 2.OG
Tennenbacher Straße 4
*Certificates and academic transcripts in languages other than English or German must be officially translated into English or German.
**TOEFL code number 8692
Please do not put your application into an application portfolio or anything similar. Just put in an envelope.
Important: All documents must reach our office by the deadline or will not be accepted.
Confirmation of receipt:
We will check your application for completeness and you will get a confirmation of receipt by e-mail. We kindly ask you to refrain from enquiries upon the actual status of your application due to the high amount of applications.