Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How many students can participate? 75.

  2. Do I need German language skills for the M.Sc. REM? No, the course is held completely in English. For your life in Germany it is advisable to speak a little German.

  3. When is the application deadline? 15th May each year.

  4. Do you intend to run this Master course every year? Yes, the M.Sc. REM is a continuous programme.

  5. Can I delay my application? No, it is mandatory to apply until 15th May, but you may hand documents in later (e.g. bachelor certificate, complete transcript of records). In case of admission, a preliminary admission will be given until lacking documents are provided.

  6. What are the qualifications requirements? Please refer to section “Admission requirements”.

  7. Can a non-European citizen apply to the course? Yes, the M.Sc. REM is designed as international master study course and applications from all over the world are welcome.

  8. How to apply? See section “Procedures and deadlines”.

  9. Is there an application fee?  No.

  10. Can the references be sent along with the other application documents? Yes, but only in a sealed envelope. Alternatively the professors can send it to us by fax or e-mail directly.

  11. Do I need to prove my English language skills if I made my Bachelor in English? In principle no, but please provide verification that your earlier study courses were completely held in English (proof mandatory).

  12. Can I send my application by e-mail? No, we only accept applications by mail reaching us at latest until 15th May. Applications coming in later cannot be considered.

  13. When does the commission decide on the admission of students to the course and on the chosen core and specialisation sections of the course? By the end of June.

  14. May I participate in only one part of the course, for instance the specialisation? No.

  16. May I still change my choice of specialisation once the course has started? In principle this is possible, but it depends on each individual case and must be well founded.

  17. Can occupational activities be acknowledged as internship? In principle this is possible, but it depends on each individual case and must be well founded.

  18. Can I get bursaries for the travel expenses induced by the move to another country? For internships there is a funding available from the International Office of Freiburg University.

  19. How much can one expect to pay for living expenses (food, accomodation, etc.)? See section "Finances”.

  20. What scope is there for students to organsise their own project within their master thesis? Either the theme is given by professors or by students initiative (in this case the student must organise a tutor).

  21. Do I get paid during the master thesis? Not normally

  23. Who assesses the master thesis? Students can choose 2 professors from different institutes for assessment.